Greetings, summer holiday lovers! Coming at you live, from monsoon season in Vietnam! I flew into Hanoi, the northern capitol to meet up with my parents and my friends, Ethan and Kellen aka the most beautiful husband and husband pair, who flew in from Boston. We are roadtripping Vietnam from north to south, with a popover to Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat for the next three weeks! It is a proper summer holiday :) Time (and wifi) allowing, I'll be sharing updates from my trip, probably in the form of image heavy "post" cards. I have a couple style posts queued up that I might throw in as well!
This is my 5th time in Vietnam (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013), so I consider myself quite familiar with my mother's land. Maybe I'm a bit overconfident because I saved packing for the day before. Work has been so crazy that I didn't really have a whole lot of time to ponder this trip as it was approaching, sort of just got on the plane, you know what I mean? I think it shows in my packing because LOL why did I bring SO MANY sports bras?! I wanted to share my thought process for packing on this trip, in case any of y'all are gearing up for your first tropical SE Asian adventure! First thing to consider- space. I wanted to limit myself to one backpack. Kasey discovered the Osprey Porter 46-Liter duffle bag
for her first big trip to India and I've been using it ever since! Coupled with these AWESOME medium sized packing cubes from eBags,
I feel like I've got an easy and convenient packing system. It's so nice being able to organize my clothes with cubes so my duffle doesn't become one giant cotton explosion.
Next, I considered the climate I'd be in and the types of activity I'd be doing. I will be trekking through Vietnam during monsoon season, where temperatures hover in the mid 90's and being constantly covered in moisture from the humidity is a fact of life :) A lot of activity is planned with a mix of city life and country sights. So basically, my main theme is COMFORT. Hence, a shit ton of cotton. Basically, the idea was- comfortable workout clothes to move in and easy going sundresses for some variety. Also, I'll be exclusively sporting sport bras this trip. I've found them to be more comfortable and more practical for this type of travel. I brought almost zero cold weather gear. Monsoon = flash flood raining anytime, anywhere, so my one and only jacket/long sleeve of choice is the Brooks LSD Jacket, which is wind proof, water resistant and folds into its own pocket for super mega space saving! I also have one pair of yoga leggings that I wore on the plane ride over and will wear for the plane ride back. For shoes, I brought one pair of adventure sandals, I recommend a pair with straps, and one pair of tennis shoes because I told myself I'd attempt to go running a couple times while out here :)
This is my 5th time in Vietnam (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013), so I consider myself quite familiar with my mother's land. Maybe I'm a bit overconfident because I saved packing for the day before. Work has been so crazy that I didn't really have a whole lot of time to ponder this trip as it was approaching, sort of just got on the plane, you know what I mean? I think it shows in my packing because LOL why did I bring SO MANY sports bras?! I wanted to share my thought process for packing on this trip, in case any of y'all are gearing up for your first tropical SE Asian adventure! First thing to consider- space. I wanted to limit myself to one backpack. Kasey discovered the Osprey Porter 46-Liter duffle bag
Next, I considered the climate I'd be in and the types of activity I'd be doing. I will be trekking through Vietnam during monsoon season, where temperatures hover in the mid 90's and being constantly covered in moisture from the humidity is a fact of life :) A lot of activity is planned with a mix of city life and country sights. So basically, my main theme is COMFORT. Hence, a shit ton of cotton. Basically, the idea was- comfortable workout clothes to move in and easy going sundresses for some variety. Also, I'll be exclusively sporting sport bras this trip. I've found them to be more comfortable and more practical for this type of travel. I brought almost zero cold weather gear. Monsoon = flash flood raining anytime, anywhere, so my one and only jacket/long sleeve of choice is the Brooks LSD Jacket, which is wind proof, water resistant and folds into its own pocket for super mega space saving! I also have one pair of yoga leggings that I wore on the plane ride over and will wear for the plane ride back. For shoes, I brought one pair of adventure sandals, I recommend a pair with straps, and one pair of tennis shoes because I told myself I'd attempt to go running a couple times while out here :)
It's worth mentioning toiletries- SE Asian skin care products contain chemicals to promote skin whitening. Light skin is coveted in these parts and ladies will do anything to maintain fair skin. This is bad news bears for me because I most definitely do not want dat shit on my skin. I recommend bringing your own face wash and your own body wash. I've found hair care products to be okay to purchase here. You may want to bring your own toothpaste if you're picky about the taste (which I totes am!). I've used sunscreen from here and it's been fine, but tend to bring my own because I prefer specific brands. Most international flights give you 2 free checked bags, so bringing liquids shouldn't be too much of a hassle :)
As far as other non-clothes items, I have my Canon SLR and a Surface Pro 2. I also brought a small hydration pack, similar to this one







There's lots of good advice in this post!! Packing light (of course, super important! I've learned that lesson the hard way in Europe where they sometimes even charge for your ONE bag and then end up paying hundreds of Euros for the overweight!), dressing comfortably, which I'm a fan of even when not traveling, and bringing your own hair and face products you're used to from America (I can't state how bad my hair went with the shampoo from the Middle East and how rusty and dry my skin was because I forgot my moisturizer). It looks like you're already having one helluva trip over there! Hanoi, Sapa (please take lots of pictures there), Angkor Wat?! I can't wait to see all the pictures from all of your shenanigans. I miss youuuu! Keep posting, looking forward to all of your adventures in SE Asia! :) Luv yaaaaa!!
ReplyDeleteHector!!! I wish you were here with meeeeee, you would love SE Asia so much. I love that you can appreciate my need for good hair products :) I can't wait to pack home a whole bunch of presents for you and Kat!!! I'm so glad that I can keep up with you via your blog while we're apart from each other. Love you times a million!!
DeleteI've never been to SE Asia. I think you did better packing than I would! Have so much fun!
ReplyDeleteThanks, girly! I love it over here and every year its the area gets more and more travel friendly. I definitely recommend putting SE Asia on your list of places to go!!! You'd extra love the shopping here :)
Delete