Tuesday, May 5, 2015

How I'm Currently Organizing my Closet, Plus More Monochrome

Hello hello, friends! As far as my style has been concerned lately, I've been feeling the monochrome look. You may have noticed an increase in this aesthetic in my style lately. This is mostly due to hanging out so much with Katrina :) However, the consistency of this aesthetic is due to a closet system I recently adopted for myself. I sort of made it up! I have two closets at home. The first closet in in my guest bedroom and is absolutely stuffed to the brim with almost all of my clothing. The second closet is in my own bedroom where I try to keep a "collection" of clothes that reflect my current mood and style. I have somewhere in the ballpark of 150 dresses :D I love having access to the variety and recognize the eclecticness of my collection is a defining pillar of my personal style. However, I found that it was getting a lot harder to make decisions when I need to dress on the go. So, I decided to put as much of my clothing out of sight and use my bedroom closet to help me focus on a particular aesthetic. I switch out the items in my bedroom closet about once a month. There's no schedule, rhyme or reason. I just pull anything that I'm feeling at the time of the switch, which happens whenever I feel like it. This has been a fantastic way for me to get into that "shop your closet" mindset. Every time I switch up my bedroom closet, it feels like I have a whole closet of new clothes. I haven't been actively trying to shop less, but it's naturally made me feel less compelled to make those compulsive purchases at the mall.

In my most recent pull, I filled my bedroom closet with lots of blacks, greys and whites. I loved how easy it was to pull this particular outfit together. Truly effortless because I had already put in the effort to pair my choices down to items that would easily fit together. I liked the balance between comfort (the knit blazer and cozy leggings) and structure (my favorite wedges and this tweed skirt).

With summer around the corner, I think a switch up is in order! How do you guys keep your clothing organized or keep your closet feeling fresh? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Hope you guys are having a good week so far! See you soon :)

IMG_2672 IMG_2672
IMG_2672
IMG_2672 IMG_2672
IMG_2672 IMG_2672
Knit Blazer exact
Classic White Shirt Forever 21, similar
Straight Tweed Skirt Banana Republic, similar
Sandals Report, similar
Bag Forever 21

4 comments:

  1. Great look -- especially love the pop of color from your pedicure! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, if only maintaining pedicures and manicures wasn't so high maintenance! You inspire me, Jade!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the monochrome looks! It gives you a very classy vibe, perfect for work, and edgy at the same time, making it look comfortable and easy to put together. I like your idea of shopping your own closet! I've been getting rid of a lot of clothes recently (especially with the move and stuff) and the notion of having a few pieces to choose from but that still represent your mood at the time seems like the perfect way to go to avoid the struggle of choosing what to wear when you're in a hurry. What also works for me is to place the clothes I recently wore all the way to the back of the closet rack. That way, the first thing I see are always clothes I haven't sported in a long time, and I wear out my clothes more evenly. It also keeps them in better shape. Hope you're having a wonderful week as well, see you very very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Moving things you've worn already to the back- so simple and brilliant! I'm going to start using that! I seriously can't wait to see your new closet. And your new townhome in general! I'm sure your space will be beautiful. Moving is such a great forcing function to get you to take a serious look at your closet and clean it out. Maybe I should pretend I'm moving the next time I do a closet clean :)

      Delete