After recruiting at Rice, Kasey, Nick and I spent a Saturday driving to San Antonio to visit the Alamo and the surrounding missions. I'm not much of a history buff, but I do love visiting places of historic interest and learning about them on the spot. I feel like I understand the fierce Texas spirit so much better after visiting the Alamo. Texans have a lot of pride in their state and so much of that is rooted in their history. Not gonna lie, I was a little weirded out and slightly annoyed by all of the "Ripley's" branded tourist traps across the street from the Alamo, but I guess that's just a lesson in the importance of preserving historic landmarks and their surrounding lands. None the less, our visit to the Alamo was special and I felt connected to it's story.
We spent an hour at the Alamo and had lunch at the super cool riverwalk. Afterwards, we headed a little outside San Antonio to visit the other four missions. I am so glad we did! It was totally worth the drive. San Jose and San Juan were my favorite. You can read about the missions here and find directions and service information for each here.
The Alamo was AWESOME. Extra awesome because I got to adventure around with Nick and Kasey. I'm starting to really like Texas. Glad that I have two schools there! Until next time, y'all! Thanks for reading :)










No comments:
Post a Comment