Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February Fitness

Hi Hi, Fun Time Friends! Today I'm reviewing my goals from January and putting a stake in the ground for February. This post is primarily focused on my personal fitness. To be clear, maintaining my physical fitness doesn't dominate my life, as I can only manage to devote 4 - 6 hours per week to exercise, including travel and shower time. However, I have found that setting specific goals for fitness is the most effective way for me to stay on track. Thus, this long-ish post on how I'm maintaining my lady figure!

For the most part, I hit my goals last month and I feel super good about it! Setting my intention at the beginning of the month and picking reasonable goals were key for me. Here's a quick review on last month:

Hit Body Burn 4x this month: Success!

Workout 3x/week while on work travel: Almost Success!
I managed 2x/week with the help of Bikram Yoga and the A&M Rec Center. Choosing hot yoga came with an added bonus. You HAVE to stay hydrated and you can't eat super heavy foods if you plan to practice hot yoga on a given day so I was extra motivated to keep fairly decent eating habits.

Go to sleep with a tidy bedroom every night: Success!
I think I've conditioned myself with good habits that will allow me to easily maintain my bedroom. Mitch approved!

IMG_2672 IMG_2672

Before I lay out my goals for this month, I'd like to explain my thoughts behind my personal health. There are three reasons why I am motivated to get my ass to the gym.

1. Health - I will live a long, active, capable life. I never want my health to be a limit to what I can do.

2. Athleticism - 14-year-old Kim ran a sub minute 400m and 17 year-old Kim could play a full 90 on the right wing making sure to hustle back for defense. 27-year-old Kim would like to run a 24 minute 5K and outsprint all of her opponents in co-rec soccer :D

3. Hot body. Duh. - This one is obvious, right? I'm going to spend a minute here. It is important to me that I think I look good. I emphasize the I here, because no offense, but if you have an opinion on how I look, you can go fuck yourself. Trololol, I don't mean for it to sound so harsh, but you get what I'm trying to say here, yea? I am lucky enough to have been raised in an environment where I could develop high self esteem. On most days, I like the way I look and I am quite appreciative of my genes (Thanks for the 34DD boobies, Mom and my stupidly lush, hella long hair, Dad!). But I would totally be lying if I claimed that I wasn't motivated by the thought of vacation beach photos.

You might notice that my fitness goals are exclusively focused on activity. I have intentionally fashioned goals around action rather than physical benchmarks (i.e. down a certain number of lbs, waist size, etc.) I used to think about my appearance in terms of sizes and weight, but over the years, I've stopped taking those measurements into account. For as long as I can remember, I have looked past the number/size on the label when I'm out shopping and have always focused on what objectively looks good on my frame. It doesn't bother me to size up to a L/XL for a dress or shirt when I need to, so why take measurements into account when I'm evaluating whether or not I look good?

IMG_2672 IMG_2672

So here's what's up for the month of February.

Hit Body Burn 5x this month
1 already down! I am super grateful to have found a legit weights class that works for me. This goal doesn't allow me to miss a class while I'm home.

No missed soccer games
Confession: I can be horrible with my soccer game follow through. I don't know what it is! I fucking love soccer, but it's so hard for me to gear up and get my ass to my games sometimes. I'm currently on Tuesday and Thursday night teams. I will not allow myself to miss any games without a legit reason (i.e. work travel) and make a sincere effort to schedule social events around my games.

Run 1x in Houston, Boston and Florida
Mitch bought me a pair of AMAZING running shoes to show his support for my commitment to fitness (Thanks, bae, you da you da best). I used them for the first time last month at A&M and I am determined to use them as often as I can. This month, my travels take me Houston (Recruiting at Rice), Boston (TAPIA Conference) and Florida (Visiting Ben & Stina!). I'm determined to commit to some treadmill or track time!

Bikram 1x in Boston and Florida
I learned last month that I need to plan out when I'm working out before I even get on my plane for a work trip. I've already scoped out Bikram studios for Boston and Florida! Unfortunately there's no time for me to hit up a class in Houston, but I at least looked up class schedules and made an attempt to work it out.

IMG_2672 IMG_2672
IMG_2672 IMG_2672

Jacket North Face
Tank Forever 21
Running Tights Adidas
Running Shoes Asics Kayano

Mitch and I have a trip to Las Vegas planned for the end of the month (OMG, so much plane time!). We wanted to set aside couples time to cap the end of a busy winter travel season and we got a sweet deal with my Hilton points, so to the strip it is!!! :D We are quite deliberate with vacation mode which includes no workouts, but pool time at Caesars will serve as great motivation as I keep myself accountable throughout this month.

Thanks for reading, y'all! I'd love to hear about how others think about their fitness and health! Or, if you keep a fitness blog or fitness inspiration instagram account, I'd love to follow along!

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE your shoes! Asics gel Kayanos are definitely my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY ARE INCREDIBLE! I used to just hit up the Nike factory store and pick up whatever was on clearance but these shoes have changed my life!!!

      Delete
    2. I really hate Nikes for working out. I have ridiculous feet and Nikes don't provide enough support. But I have to give it to Nike for making cute shoes lol, I've been lusting after grey/white roshes.

      Delete
  2. I love how motivated you are about physical activity! I try to hit the gym every day before work but sometimes I'm just too lazy in the morning and I stay in bed for like 1 hour lol. With me the problem is weight gain, if I don't go to the gym I become too scrawny and I lose muscle very quickly. I want to build a beach body though so if I end up going to the beach sometime this year I can feel good with myself. I'll do yoga with you in Boston! And I'm super down for running, I love doing it. Great sporty outfit by the way!! Hope you meet all your goals this month :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES! So excited to have a workout buddy on work travel <3 Meeeeeep. Going through and replying to all of your comments is making me miss you! I'm sorry we couldn't see each other this week. I'm literally still at work right meow, lawls. Keeping muscle on is a serious struggle for folks with high metabolism. But in all honesty, you look great! Clothes hang on you so well <3

      Delete
  3. 17yr old JV forward Aaron-Micheal is super impressed with 17yr old Kim as he couldn't DREAM of playing full field for any amount of time. As for current Kim: GO KIM GO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damnit, Aaron-Michael. I FUCKING LOVE YOU. Where are you? Why aren't we hanging out?

      Delete
  4. Kim, you are the cutest!!! Please teach me how to jump so high hahaah! Congratulations on meeting your workout goals, especially with all the traveling! Such an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nini! We need to hit the gym together, I think we'd be good workout buddies, lol. UGH. You're right, this long distance friendship is totally killing me! I'm on my way home to you right now!!!

      Delete
  5. Mad props Kim! You have always been a huge inspiration to me of self-love! Congratulations on making your January goals and good luck with your February ones!
    Also, I have those same running shoes!!!!!! It makes me unnaturally happy that out of all the running shoes in the world we picked the same pair!!!! Friends! :) love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MARGEAUXXXXX <3 < 3 <3 I miss you, girl! Come back into my life, please! IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY THAT WE HAVE THE SAME SHOES!! I completely understand the need for a good pair of running shoes if you're going to try to run regularly. I love you. Thank you for all of your support and love over the years, it really makes self-love so much easier <3

      Delete