Monday, December 8, 2014

Preppy Polka Dots

Happy Tuesday, beautiful friends. First thing's first, THANK YOU for the overwhelming support of the last post. To be honest, I was pretty nervous about sharing it and I let it sit on my blog for a day before posting to facebook. I am seriously so glad I did! It has been incredible reconnecting with friends that have been through similar situations. I've been able to have some great conversations and so many of you have shared words of encouragement. I feel so fortunate to be part of such a supportive community! Thank you! You guys inspire me with your awesomeness.

Having this blog has helped me meet some wonderful, creative people. You may remember Charlotte, a young artist I met in Leavenworth this summer. She recently reached out to me to share her next project. The subject aligns well with some themes addressed in my last post so I thought this would be a timely follow up :) Please read her letter about her project below and consider contributing. I know I definitely will.
Hello All,

I am starting a collection called Invisible Burdens that aims to promote empathy and understanding about commonly misunderstood invisible ailments such as mental illness, stress, grief, etc. Each piece will be a conceptual portrait based on descriptions from people who live with each burden.

If you or someone you know has a burden you would like to promote awareness about, please go to this site to share your story.

Your submission is entirely anonymous.

You may also help by promoting this project. Please share this with someone you care about that might benefit by having a portrait created for them based upon their ailment.

Thank you for your time and your support, every bit helps.

Charlotte Massey
www.facebook.com/CharredLatteArt

Today I am travelling from Boston to Florida to be with my family for my brother's promotion to First Lieutenant (woohoo, go Ben!). I wanted to share one of my travel outfits from this season. Typically, I am rocking my comfiest pair of yoga leggings, an oversized t shirt and a cozy zip up for travel. But being on the East Coast inspires the prepster in me! What says prep better than polka dots, an embellished J.Crew sweater and a statement necklace? I actually picked up this sweater at Goodwill this past summer! I was so excited when I found it!! I think I paid $13, which is not bad considering it was in practically perfect condition and would have probably cost $75+ brand new.

You guys know that I love a good uniform. The crewneck + collared shirt + statement necklace combo popularized by J. Crew is one of my favorite glam casual looks. Pairing these glitzy pieces with stretchy jeggings and a soft chambray kept me comfy on this 12 hour travel day! Are you guys spending a lot of times on planes this season? Let me know if you have any amazing go-to travel clothing or accessories :)

BTW, I've received feedback that my blog loads slowly. I'm sorry! I know that can be totes annoying. I've worked on replacing images on each blog post with lower resolution images and from what I can tell, it's helping load time. I've only been able to do this for the last 10 posts or so, but I'll work on getting the rest replaced over time! Please let me know if you notice a difference in load time. For my next post, I'm going to share my favorite Boston Eats! DERRRRICIOUS! See you again soon!


IMG_2672

IMG_2672

IMG_2672 IMG_2672

Polka Dot Jeans Target ($10 last season clearance) | Chambray Holliser Co. ($15 last season clearance) |
Sweater J. Crew via Goodwill | Necklace Forever 21 (last season) | Wedges Madden Girl via DSW

3 comments:

  1. Preppy style suits you very well!! I basically love anything that comes from a J.Crew catalog, but here it's the pairing with the polka dot jeans that's just magical, great combination! I also like to travel in jeans, since they are quite comfortable (specially in long flights) and what I always do is dress in layers because it usually gets really cold in the plane, then warm again at the airport, then cold when you arrive back to Seattle, so I just keep throwing stuff on and off me as I move along. Can't wait to see your Boston recommendations, I might go there next year for a conference :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT. Which conference are you talking about?! I'm going to a comp sci diversity conference in Boston in February! OMG ARE WE GOING TO BE THERE AT THE SAME TIME?! I already have like, 10 places I want to take you! I thought of you while I was posting this because I know how much you love yourself some J. Crew. Let me know if they ever have mega clearance, lol. Love youuuuuuuuuuu.

      Delete
    2. Yessss I think we're talking about the same conference :D I'm so excited I literally can't wait!! Oh and peoples, expect LOTS of pictures from that trip! Haha, J. Crew usually doesn't have mega clearance, although they did have 30% off any J. Crew branded item during Black Friday. I'll let you know if there's another one soon though (I go to the downtown store almost every weekend, it's like church to me). Love you toooo!!

      Delete