Thursday, January 14, 2016

Whistler Wonderland



Happy Thursday, party people! One more day until the weekend! YAS! Currently, I am skating across the friendly skies on my way down to cali for a recruiting trip. Of course I'm spending the weekend in Disneyland before the the festivities begin :) Today, I wanted to highlight the adventure activities from our Whistler Wonderland Weekend. Tomorrow, I'll be sharing our high tea experiences at two different tea salons.

Back a few months back when I was mentally preparing myself for Mitch's now-cancelled work abroad in Vancouver, I was thinking of ways to make the year and a half of long distance feel more fun. I wanted to see it as an opportunity for new adventures rather than a dreadful 18 months of being apart. I was brainstorming different ideas with friends when someone suggested Whistler for a weekend. I had never been before and it's been quite some time since I've been around snow. Also, I'm pretty much always down so we booked a VRBO in the Montebello community which is right next to Whistler Village. I can't recommend this location enough! The homes are lovely and spacious. We dubbed our crew #ONEBIGBED (some joke about all sleeping in one giant bed :D). Funny enough, it turns out Mitch doesn't have to do work abroad and gets to stay in the states with me! However, we're still waiting for his travel visa to come through so he had to miss out on the trip. A bit of a bummer but I got to bring a stand in SO, Riley, who I hadn't seen in moooooonths. We had an absolute blast and we're already talking about returning to Whistler for the spring and summer when Mitch gets his new visa!

As for activities, we initially considered snowboarding and skiing. However, we were pretty short on time (driving up Friday, driving home Sunday) and not everyone in group was interested in hitting the slopes. So instead, Jen (the bae of my heart and soul), found two super legit activities for us to do: Dog Sledding and Snowmobiling! I had never done either of these things but they were just as fun as they sound. 10 out of 10 would DEFINITELY do again.

Here are the details and my favorite snaps from our epic Saturday. We did both activities in the same day through the same tour company, Blackcomb Snowmobile. This company gets major kudos points from me! They are located in the lobby of the Hilton and were so wonderful. Their tour guides were professional, friendly and very knowledgeable. The company itself seems to run a tight ship and is quite organized. It will be my go-to for all Whistler related adventure activities from now on!

Mountain Mushing | Blackcomb Dogsled
WHOOOO LET THE DOGS OUT?! Okay don't hate me, I had to. Um so dog sledding. It was fucking legit. We went for the very first tour at 9:30 AM. We met the tour guide in the Hilton lobby and they took care of us from there! The photos speak for themselves but I do have a couple takeaways from the experience. First, there's a distinct advantage to going in the morning. It's the very first run of the day for the pups and so they are extra fresh! It's a pretty comfortable experience. They wrap you up in a super warm blanket and it doesn't feel like you're ever going too fast when you're sitting in the sled. They give you the opportunity to mush and I highly recommend it! The cost was $189 CAD per person, it's cheaper for children!







Snowmobiling | Blackcomb Snowmobile
We had a couple hours after dog sledding before getting back out for our snowmobile adventure. I had never ridden one before and I was a little hesitant at first but I ended up having a blast! Apparently, I like to go fast :) The snowmobiles we rode were so easy to use! Basically just a gas and go, no gear switching. AND the handles were heated! So fancy!!! It was a long, but seriously satisfying day. I remember sleeping so well that night :) Have you been to Whistler before? Do you have any favorite activities that you like to do? I feel very grateful to have the means and the friends to go adventuring like this. Can't wait for the next one!




Keep yourself warm out there!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like such a fun trip!! Dog sledding and mushing is simply AWESOME! I did it in Alaska and it was an incredible experience, and meeting the dogs and getting to play with them before going on a run was really cute. Gorgeous pictures with gorgeous people too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete