HAPPY NEW YEAR, PEOPLE! 11 days late but better late than never, yas? My blogger boyfriend, Hector and I are back with a touch of sophistication to kick off my first post of the new year. But seriously- how beautiful is this man?! I'm looking forward to continuing the "His & Hers" series in 2016!
Not to be over enthusiastic of the annual NEW YEAR NEW ME movement, but the two weeks of downtime had my wheelhouse spinning on a couple different topics. I won't go super deep into any of these (yet), but this blog has always been helpful for organizing my thoughts so here's a brief rundown of the goals I have top of mind for myself right now.
Understand my Professional and Personal Priorities
So, I'm coming up on my second year of recruiting and I want to make sure I get a head start on the inevitable "What's Next" anxiety that seems to plague career focused millennials. Real talk, what's next for me could very well be recruiting forever. However, if that is the case, I want it to be a very deliberate decision. There are a couple different career paths that seem interesting to me but are completely unrelated to one another. For the various careers I have in mind, there isn't a smooth transition from one to the next and most of the options would most likely require me to put what I'm currently doing on complete pause so I can devote time to building a specific skillset for said career. Before I get into a deep dark rabbit hole, the point of this particular goal is to articulate a set of professional priorities and life priorities to form a basis so I can go out and tackle the "What's Next" question with some sort of personal compass.
Become an Educated Ally
So, being married to a beautiful, kind person has been an actual dream come true. Being married doesn't change everything, but it does give you some new perspective on some things. It's pretty well known among my circle of friends that ever since I started dating Mitch, I would lust over the prospect of our inevitably beautiful blasian babies. Well, now it is actually seriously a real possibility! I mean, it's in my 5+ year plan so not anytime soon but a big part of me is definitely doing a happy dance when I think about our future children. Anyways, here's where I drop the hammer. So, I realized that I am going to have children in a society where pockets of the population will treat my children differently because of how they look. I mean sure, they'll technically be half Vietnamese Amazon Glam Barbies but actually, they're going to be black. They're going to be black in a society where some will make assumptions about them that could in turn lead them to be harmed just because of the color of their skin. This is some scary shit, y'all. They're going to have a lot of experiences that I will never have. And although I can be empathetic and kind, I'll never truly understand what it feels like to walk in their shoes. So, I'm making a commitment to become a more educated ally. Not just for the sake of my future children but seriously because I feel like it's the right thing to do. A big thank you to my very good friend Janet for being my diversity & inclusion spirit guide and fueling some much needed conversation around this topic. My plan for now is to read and reflect as much as I possibly can over the next year (and beyond).
Have a plan for Fitness
This next one is more light hearted. A New Year Resolution list wouldn't be complete without something health/fitness oriented, AMIRIGHT?! On the real, reading through my January and February goal posts from 2015 got me excited for all of the possibilities of the New Year! I'll shake out my specific goals as I become more inspired to set them but for now my goal is to give my best effort to make time for fitness. Like literally on Sundays I'm going to open up my work/personal calendars for the week and block out times for sweat fest sessions. I'm travelling on and off for the next 4 months without a rhyme or reason to my schedule so a traditional routine is not going to work for me. Really what I'm saying is, I have a goal to make goals for my fitness on a weekly basis.
Blog More in 2016
Since reviving my blog in 2014, I've been able to maintain decent consistency. I published 91 posts in 2014 and 109 posts in 2015. My goal this year is to make at least 110 posts. To give myself a jump start, I just signed up for a blogging challenge for the month of January. 16 posts for the first month of 2016. And as you can see, I'm starting 11 days late. Lol, so I'll be pushing myself to be accountable to the blog over these next three weeks! Leggggooooo :)
This goes without saying but I plan to use this blog to reflect on my progress as I make headway on the different goals I've laid out for myself here. How are your resolutions going? How do you plan to keep yourself accountable? As always, thank you for taking the time out of your day for me. I appreciate you heaps and mounds!
So now, here are some pretty pretty pictures for your bemusement! Cheers!
Not to be over enthusiastic of the annual NEW YEAR NEW ME movement, but the two weeks of downtime had my wheelhouse spinning on a couple different topics. I won't go super deep into any of these (yet), but this blog has always been helpful for organizing my thoughts so here's a brief rundown of the goals I have top of mind for myself right now.
Understand my Professional and Personal Priorities
So, I'm coming up on my second year of recruiting and I want to make sure I get a head start on the inevitable "What's Next" anxiety that seems to plague career focused millennials. Real talk, what's next for me could very well be recruiting forever. However, if that is the case, I want it to be a very deliberate decision. There are a couple different career paths that seem interesting to me but are completely unrelated to one another. For the various careers I have in mind, there isn't a smooth transition from one to the next and most of the options would most likely require me to put what I'm currently doing on complete pause so I can devote time to building a specific skillset for said career. Before I get into a deep dark rabbit hole, the point of this particular goal is to articulate a set of professional priorities and life priorities to form a basis so I can go out and tackle the "What's Next" question with some sort of personal compass.
Become an Educated Ally
So, being married to a beautiful, kind person has been an actual dream come true. Being married doesn't change everything, but it does give you some new perspective on some things. It's pretty well known among my circle of friends that ever since I started dating Mitch, I would lust over the prospect of our inevitably beautiful blasian babies. Well, now it is actually seriously a real possibility! I mean, it's in my 5+ year plan so not anytime soon but a big part of me is definitely doing a happy dance when I think about our future children. Anyways, here's where I drop the hammer. So, I realized that I am going to have children in a society where pockets of the population will treat my children differently because of how they look. I mean sure, they'll technically be half Vietnamese Amazon Glam Barbies but actually, they're going to be black. They're going to be black in a society where some will make assumptions about them that could in turn lead them to be harmed just because of the color of their skin. This is some scary shit, y'all. They're going to have a lot of experiences that I will never have. And although I can be empathetic and kind, I'll never truly understand what it feels like to walk in their shoes. So, I'm making a commitment to become a more educated ally. Not just for the sake of my future children but seriously because I feel like it's the right thing to do. A big thank you to my very good friend Janet for being my diversity & inclusion spirit guide and fueling some much needed conversation around this topic. My plan for now is to read and reflect as much as I possibly can over the next year (and beyond).
Have a plan for Fitness
This next one is more light hearted. A New Year Resolution list wouldn't be complete without something health/fitness oriented, AMIRIGHT?! On the real, reading through my January and February goal posts from 2015 got me excited for all of the possibilities of the New Year! I'll shake out my specific goals as I become more inspired to set them but for now my goal is to give my best effort to make time for fitness. Like literally on Sundays I'm going to open up my work/personal calendars for the week and block out times for sweat fest sessions. I'm travelling on and off for the next 4 months without a rhyme or reason to my schedule so a traditional routine is not going to work for me. Really what I'm saying is, I have a goal to make goals for my fitness on a weekly basis.
Blog More in 2016
Since reviving my blog in 2014, I've been able to maintain decent consistency. I published 91 posts in 2014 and 109 posts in 2015. My goal this year is to make at least 110 posts. To give myself a jump start, I just signed up for a blogging challenge for the month of January. 16 posts for the first month of 2016. And as you can see, I'm starting 11 days late. Lol, so I'll be pushing myself to be accountable to the blog over these next three weeks! Leggggooooo :)
This goes without saying but I plan to use this blog to reflect on my progress as I make headway on the different goals I've laid out for myself here. How are your resolutions going? How do you plan to keep yourself accountable? As always, thank you for taking the time out of your day for me. I appreciate you heaps and mounds!
So now, here are some pretty pretty pictures for your bemusement! Cheers!
On Hector
Suit Blazer Express, exact
Suit Pant Express, exact
White Dress Shirt Zara, exact
Gold Tie H&M, similar
Striped Hat H&M, similar Polka Dot Pocket Square J. Crew, exact
Socks J. Crew, exact
Shoes Aldo, exact
On Kim Double Ankle Strip Pump Forever 21, similar
Gold Sequin Dress Forever 21, exact, similar
Flared Midi Skirt Banana Republic
Kim I'm just basically in love with you and your blog and everything you do and I am so happy to call you a friend!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I can explain with words how much I'm in love with this post. And it's not only the fact that we look super cute, fab, glam, and just plain HOT in these pics (for reals) but it's also the fact that you have been such a good positive influence in my life this last year that I just want it to continue forever! From our 1-on-1 chats, to our trips, to us dealing with interns, and that recruiting life yo', it's all those things we have in common that eventually brought us to fashion as well! And when I decided to become a blogger you were my number one supporter from day one and I wouldn't be here still doing the same thing if it weren't for your advice and support. You're such an inspiration, and your goals, which a lot are focused on others rather than on you, just reflect your passion for helping others achieve their dreams, and I'm sure you'll achieve yours in the meantime. Whatever you decide to be, whether it's a Blasian babies mom (I'm already picturing their outfits and their pics!) or a recruiter, or something comepletely different, I know you're going to be a total rockstar at it because you do it with the utmost respect for others, for diversity, with tolerance, and that will open so many doors for you!! Ahh I got a bit too carried away on this, but really, thank you for being such a great positive influence in my life and I wouldn't have preferred to do this post with no one else!! There's nobody else like you!!! <3 youuu booo!!!
ReplyDelete