Crater Lake has been on my list for quite a while now. However, it's a bit too far from Seattle (7 hours one way) and I've never been able to motivate myself to make a trip all the way down. When Mitch and I first started talking about this trip, Crater Lake was at the top of my wish list and we made it happen! We left our forest retreat in Portland at 7:30 AM for the 4 hour drive. We took a 45 minute break in Eugene for breakfast and a grocery run and made it to Crater Lake before 1 PM.
The lake was formed when a volcano erupted about 7700 years ago! WHAT?! It is the deepest lake in the United States being just shy of 2000 feet deep. The most impressive thing for me was how BLUE the water was. I learned that water molecules absorb all colors of the spectrum except the blues. The water at Crater Lake is practically perfectly pure and because there is so much of it (about 4.6 trillion gallons), the result is a brilliant blue that dazzles the human eye. You can read more fun facts here!
We spent a solid 2 hours driving around the rim of the lake and taking in the views. I'm down for hikes, but I really loved that we could just hop in and out of our car and still fully experience the best of what Crater Lake had to offer. It was the perfect half way point for us. It gave us the energy to continue the 7 hours to San Jose. Loved our stop at the lake, hopefully it won't be too long before we're back again!
The lake was formed when a volcano erupted about 7700 years ago! WHAT?! It is the deepest lake in the United States being just shy of 2000 feet deep. The most impressive thing for me was how BLUE the water was. I learned that water molecules absorb all colors of the spectrum except the blues. The water at Crater Lake is practically perfectly pure and because there is so much of it (about 4.6 trillion gallons), the result is a brilliant blue that dazzles the human eye. You can read more fun facts here!
We spent a solid 2 hours driving around the rim of the lake and taking in the views. I'm down for hikes, but I really loved that we could just hop in and out of our car and still fully experience the best of what Crater Lake had to offer. It was the perfect half way point for us. It gave us the energy to continue the 7 hours to San Jose. Loved our stop at the lake, hopefully it won't be too long before we're back again!
I love this dress that I randomly nabbed from one of Urban Outfitters summer clearances a couple years ago. I knew it would pop perfectly against the beautiful blue of Crater Lake. Not gonna lie, I planned out almost all of my outfits for each day of the trip. I did this to keep myself from overpacking but it's also been super convenient knowing exactly what I'm going to wear on what day.
How insane is Crater Lake? Yes, I did enhance these photos with lightroom. But seriously, the lake was unbelievably blue. I think Crater Lake's website describes it best, "Crater Lake has inspired people for thousands of years. No place else on earth combines a deep, pure lake, so blue in color; sheer surrounding cliffs, almost two thousand feet high; two picturesque islands; and a violent volcanic past. It is a place of immeasurable beauty, and an outstanding outdoor laboratory and classroom."
What's up with all the Kim pics? Well, Mitch has taken an interest in photography, which is maybe the best thing that has ever happened. But actually. Let's be real, it's every fashion blogger's dream to have a photog boyfriend that can take immaculate outfit shots. He's been super nice about indulging all of my silly requests for photos so I couldn't let his hard work go to waste! And actually, he snapped so many photos that I liked that it was really hard choosing just a few. So YOLO, putting it all out there. I'm saving the pictures of Mitch for a future Mitch Monday :) Thanks for reading, y'all. Next up is Hearst Castle!














No comments:
Post a Comment